"How Can You Have Too Many Children? That's Like Saying You Have Too Many Flowers" ~ Mother Teresa

A Peek Into Our Hectic, Crazy & Loving Family of Eleven

~♥~

Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Live A Little...Learn A Little...

So, it turns out that those few comments on my 'Dreadlocks' post were correct. :/

Crochet dreads are NOT the best way to go. But, what's done is done. I'm not totally screwed, and my locs will survive so all in all, things are ok. But I sure do wish I had found this website before I did my hair.

Crocheting your hair is damaging. While it does give you instant 'dreadlocks', the hook used to pull the hairs in and around the backcombed hair, damages them. The real problem lies in the maintenance of crocheting. Most people will have their locks done and then continue to have them crocheted to maintain the neat perfect look. This means very unhealthy dreadlocks that will more than likely start to break off within a few years, if not sooner. Luckily for me, I didn't want neat and perfect to begin with. So, I won't be going back. EVER. I just needed major starting help since I'm pretty sure Aaron would not have gone for the wild-cave-woman look. Especially when we have stuff to go to.

The downside to starting with crochet, then going natural is the fuzz. My hair is fuzzy. Really fuzzy. It's a bit damaged, but according to the website that you should totally check out, I should be fine. My hair will start to dread on it own naturally with, hopefully, minimal damage from the crochet hook.

I'm going to try to do a timeline for the dreadlock website, about going from crochet to natural. I won't bore you all with pics, but I'll occasionally include a link in case you want to go check it out.

Madeline wants to do her hair now too, but we are doing it the healthier way. It's called twist and rip. It's better for your hair. And it's free.

Live a little, learn a little. Or alot, in this case. Thank Gods for people posting on my comments.

2 comments:

  1. Personally, I would love to see some pictures. Wouldn't find them boring at all!

    After looking at that site that Island Momma (sp?) listed, I am very curious to see the stages that dreads go through in becoming mature.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you look at the sits 'Timelines' you can see some. I'm taking mine all out now. I want to go natural :/

    ReplyDelete